Financial Aid

financialaidlogoPurpose of Financial Aid

The purpose of financial aid is to help remove the financial barriers that stand in the way of a student’s education. The Tri-County Community College (TCCC) Financial Aid staff is committed to the philosophy that a high-quality education should be affordable and accessible to everyone in our community.

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid unless the student totally withdraws from classes. Pell Grants are classified as Title IV federal aid and awarded only to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need by completing a FAFSA. Students are limited to receiving a Pell Grant for the equivalent of twelve full-time enrolled semesters. This applies to ALL Federal Pell Grant eligible students and includes ALL years of receiving Pell Grant funds. Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree do not qualify for a Pell Grant. Pell Grants may be used to pay a student’s direct educational costs, such as tuition, fees, and books, as well as indirect educational costs, such as transportation expenses. Students should apply well in advance of the semester they plan to attend. The federal processor must receive a student’s FAFSA by June 30 to be considered for the current academic year. There are no exceptions to this deadline.

Beginning with the 2017-2018 financial aid award year, Year-Round Pell Grant will be available. Students will be eligible to receive up to 150 percent of their Pell Grant. In order for students to receive the additional funds, they must be enrolled at least half-time (6-8 credit hours) for summer and meet all eligibility requirements to receive Pell Grant funds. For more information, please contact TCCC’s Financial Aid Office by calling 828-837-6810.

Please click here for more information about Year-Round Pell Grant.

Federal Direct Loan Program

TCCC no longer participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program, which includes Federal Stafford Loans offered to students, and Federal PLUS Loans offered to students’ parents. Loans previously provided by TCCC must be REPAID with interest. For more information regarding your past loans, please visit

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is designed to supplement existing financial aid for undergraduates who have demonstrated exceptional financial need. It is classified as Title IV federal aid. This grant is awarded to eligible applicants for the fall and spring semesters. While no deadline exists, students are encouraged to submit their FAFSA as soon as they file their taxes because the application date is one criterion for the award. FSEOG funds are limited and awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

This program is designed to assist students who need extra income to continue their education at TCCC and provide valuable work experience. To be eligible for this program, a student must first complete a FAFSA. Work-Study position announcements will be posted on the Financial Aid page at at the beginning of each academic year, or whenever there are position openings throughout the year. Deadlines for applying are posted on each advertisement. Students are required to reapply annually. Students may be eligible for the Work-Study program even if they are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Students can only earn FWS funds in combination with other resources up to the amount of the student’s financial need.


Information Technology Technician Assistant
Nurse Lab Assistant
Spa Therapies Assistant

North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG)

The NCCCG is a need-based grant established by the North Carolina Legislature to provide funds to help meet the educational costs of NC residents attending community colleges. The availability of this funding depends on allocation from the North Carolina State Legislature and eligibility is determined by a student’s FAFSA. Students must be enrolled for at least six credit hours as an undergraduate at an eligible NC institution to be eligible.

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS)

North Carolina residents who enroll for at least six credit hours as an undergraduate at an eligible NC institution may be eligible for this scholarship. The award is based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant. Current awards range from $152 to $2,752 per academic year.

North Carolina Childcare Grant

This grant was established by the NC General Assembly to assist student-parents with their financial responsibilities for childcare expenses so they may complete their educational goals. Students must apply separately for this grant at the TCCC Financial Aid office, and they must also demonstrate financial need through their current processed FAFSA.

North Carolina Targeted Assistance

This program is designed to assist students in specific programs of study in which enrollment is substantially less than class capacity but for which there is a high demand for employees in the service area labor force. Once these programs have been determined, all students enrolled in the identified program(s) will be notified via their TCCC student email if eligible for this available funding. The Targeted Assistance is generally awarded at the 60% point of the semester.

Other North Carolina Grants, Scholarships, and Loans

Grants, Need-based Scholarships, Merit Scholarships, and Loans – For more information please visit

Forgivable Education Loans

For more information, please visit

Other Financial Aid Programs

Other sources of financial assistance are available through the following organizations to those who qualify. Interested students should contact these organizations directly to apply.

Net Price Calculator

Estimate your net cost to attend Tri-County Community College! Using the net price calculator, you may receive an estimate of your eligibility for financial aid at Tri-County Community College and estimate your out-of-pocket expenses. We hope that the results of the net price calculator are useful to you in your planning process.

Welcome to the Tri-County Community College Net Price Calculator! Lets Get Started!

Financial Aid Q’s and A’s

How do I apply for financial aid at Tri-County Community College (TCCC)?

You first must meet financial aid eligibility requirements. You should apply for financial aid at the same time you apply for admission to TCCC. For faster results, you should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and add TCCC’s school code (009430). This process usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to get results. The other way to apply is to complete a FAFSA form and mail it to the address on the front of the FAFSA. This can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the results back. You must re-apply annually. Apply for financial aid as early as October 1 for the following year’s fall semester. Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to obtain your/parent(s) (if applicable) tax information. You should re-apply no later than the summer semester for the upcoming academic year.

What types of Financial Aid are available at TCCC?
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work-Study Program*
  • NC Community College Grant NC Education Lottery Scholarship
  • NC Childcare Grant*
  • NC Targeted Assistance Program
  • NC Less Than Half Time Program Scholarships*
  • Veteran’s Educational Benefits*(*Note: These programs have additional requirement to the FAFSA.) Contact the financial aid office.
Do I need to complete the (FAFSA) if I have completed one for the same year at another institution?”

No. If you completed a FAFSA for the current award year and another school processed it, the results can be requested from the Department of Education, provided you have your current Student Aid Report (SAR). You will need to call 1-800-433-3243 or go to and add TCCC’s school code.

What is TCCC’s Title IV school code?

TCCC’s title IV school code is 009430. This number must be included on the FAFSA if mailing.

Where should I send/submit the requested verification documentation for my financial aid?

You should submit/mail the requested documentation to TCCC’s financial aid office as soon as possible to prevent delay in processing your financial aid eligibility. Please review your documents for completion including needed signature(s).

Can I receive financial aid from two educational institutions at the same time?

No, you may only receive financial aid at one college at a time. However, if you are attending two institutions simultaneously, you may qualify for a consortium agreement. Contact the financial aid office for details.

When will I be awarded financial aid?

The financial aid office will be able to make an award once the following criteria have been met:

  •  All requested documents/forms have been completed accurately and returned.
  • The FAFSA data has been verified (if applicable).
  • The student has been accepted in an eligible program. (Note: Not all programs offered are eligible for financial aid. Check with the financial aid office to see if your chosen program is eligible.)
  • The student has registered for classes. (If you reduce the number of credit hours after your initial registration you must notify the financial aid office, or you could owe some or all federal funding back.)
How is the Federal Pell Grant eligibility determined?

The amount of Pell Grant eligibility is determined by the Department of Education. The information you provide on your FAFSA is placed into a formula which determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The EFC number represents the amount determined by the Department of Education that you are reasonably expected to pay towards your education for one academic year. Students are limited to receiving a Pell Grant for the equivalent of twelve full-time enrolled semesters. This applies to ALL Federal Pell Grant eligible students and includes ALL years of receiving Pell Grant funds. Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree do not qualify for a Pell Grant.

How much money can I get through the Federal Pell Grant?
The amount of your Pell Grant is determined by a combination of your EFC number and the number of hours for which you are enrolled. For the 2019/2020 academic year, the Pell Grant ranges from $657 to a maximum of $6,195 annually. NOTE: The Pell Grant will pay for classes under your program of study only.
When will I receive my refund?
Once eligibility has been determined, your financial aid award(s) will be entered into your student account for you to charge your tuition, fees, and book charges against. If charging books and supplies against your financial aid in the bookstore, you need to take your registration statement to bookstore (unless you are receiving other sources of financial assistance such as WIOA or Vocational Rehabilitation). About 35 days after the first day of class, your refund (if applicable) will be applied to your BankMobile account according to your refund selection at (See the college website and postings for additional information.) Also, if you receive any type of financial aid assistance as a refund, you will receive a 1098T yearly from TCCC for tax filing purposes. Please remember your refund is considered income to your household and MUST be reported on your annual tax return.
Will withdrawing from a class affect my financial aid?
Yes, we recommend you contact the financial aid office before you withdraw from a class. Withdrawing from all your scheduled classes could result in having to repay all or a portion of or lose your financial aid. According to federal regulations, whatever amount of financial aid you did not earn must be returned to the financial aid program(s).
How does Satisfactory Academic Progress affect my financial aid?
In order to receive financial aid, you must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). You SAP status will be evaluated at the time you apply for financial aid and at the end of each semester enrolled. If you fail to maintain SAP, it could result in loss of financial aid. Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy at or in the TCCC General Catalog & Student Handbook.
Am I eligible for financial assistance once I have earned a degree?
You are eligible for a Pell Grant until you have earned a Bachelor’s degree or received your Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) amount of Pell Grant (12 full-time semesters). For more information contact the financial aid office.
What are the qualifications to be considered an independent student?
The federal government classifies you has an independent student if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are 24 years old or older.
  • You are married.
  • You have legal dependents other than a spouse.
  • You are an orphan/dependent of the court or both your parents are deceased.
  • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • If a court in your state of legal residence declares that you are an emancipated minor, or have placed you in a legal guardianship
  • You are an unaccompanied youth who is homeless determined by a school/school liaison or a director of a shelter or homeless youth center.

Contact the financial aid office, if you feel that you are independent.

What if I’ve had a significant change in my income since I have applied for aid?
If you’ve had an involuntary change or reduction in employment, unexpected medical expenses, or any other circumstances that result in a significant change in your income, you should contact the financial aid office to find out if your income can be re-evaluated.